Friday 24 April 2009

Space Monkeys


Ingredients:

Card/Paper: Bazzill Bling Handsome, SU Basic Black and Whisper White, water colour paper
Ink: Versamark, Stazon Black, Whispers Permanent markers in red, blue and orange, SU Chocolate Chip, Green Galore, Brocade Blue, Cameo Coral, Night of Navy, Bashful Blue
Stamps: Stampendous Changito in Space, Inca Dot Birthday
Other: SU Silver Embossing powder, Acetate, red and orange gems, aluminium drink can
Card Size: 13.5cm x 12cm (approx 5" x 4.5")

Method:

My son's birthday has come around for the second time since I started my blog, so those who saw his card last year may remember the comment about monkeys on cards. For the curious the post is here. As you can see - monkeys this year too!

I designed the card base using a font called Pagoda SF, and Serif Draw, then cut it with my Silhouette (Robo). The stars and swooshes are from the Changito in Space set, and were stamped with Versamark and embossed in silver. The inside white part of the card is sponged around the edges with Bashful Blue, and stamped with the stars. It also has the happy birthday stamp in Night of Navy.

I stamped the rocket images in Stazon onto water colour card, cut them out, and just coloured in the monkey/cockpit parts using an aquabrush and the SU markers scribbled onto my Stamp-a-ma-jig sheet. I then cut out pieces of acetate to cover over the cockpit part, and extend a little below the cockpit. The part that extends below is the part that I stuck onto the coloured in image, so the glue won't show through the cockpit. I then stamped the images again with Stazon onto the back of an aluminium drink can, and cut them out - including cutting away the cockpit part. I coloured the rockets with the permanent markers, shaped them a little with a large embossing tool, and glued them on top of the coloured image with silicone. Then fixed them onto the card base. Finished off with little orange gems for the alien monkey ufo, and a red one on the top left space ship.

And I bet most of you will spend longer looking at it than he will! But at least I had fun making it . . .

post signature

13 comments:

Steph said...

Wow! That's fab! It looks sooo good, it could be a shop bought card! Well done!

stampingcaz said...

WOW thats fab... did you know Stampendous have a blog and are looking about on blogs to showcase cards, I think this one would be on there for sure! How do I know.... well time will tell ;)

Cazx

SewSuzySew said...

This is Fab! Love everything about it and I'm sure he'll love it..........although you're probably right about him only looking at it for a second lol!

Hugs
Suze x

Emma said...

Hi Joanne,

I love those cheeky changitos, you card is so swish. We appreciate your cards even if your son only gives it a quick glance. Hope has a great birthday.

curlywhiskersandtwitchingnoses said...

What a great card Joanne! I think your son is now the age when cards are quickly looked at to see if they contain any beer money but later I'm sure he'll have another proper look! It's unfortunate that recipients of our cards have no idea what goes into making them-some think shop bought cards are the best and hand made are 2nd rate. Of course that's not true-handcrafted will also be far superior to any mass produced shop card and this card is a perfect example of this-truly made with love! Wonderful Joanne.

Conniecrafter said...

Fun, love shape cards and this is just so neat!

Elizabeth *^..^* said...

SHAZAM!! This is out of this world!!! You totally out did yourself!

Kate Lewis said...

Fabulous Jo - what a cool card! Kate x

Wellnifty said...

Fantastic card,

Chris x

Kit said...

your blog is absolutely spectacular I love your flowers and will definately be giving them a go, so glad I found your blog :o)

This card is great I dont have a craft robo but I do have a cricut and have always wanted to make a shaped card like this...yours is superb and I love those images

Alison said...

Wow what a great card, I love those space monkeys!

Sonja said...

What a fantastic card! It's so hard to make great male cards, but this is just perfect! Love the graphic look and the use of the aluminium can for the rockets? Just genius!
: ) Sonja

Sue said...

Brilliant card, perfect for the age too. Well done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...